2. A Kant & B Graubard (2004) Eating out in America, 1987–2000: trends and nutritional correlates. Prev Med 38, 243–249.
4. J Pomeranz (2011) The unique authority of state and local health departments to address obesity. Am J Public Health 101, 1192–1197.
5.Department of Health and Human Services & Food and Drug Administration (2011) Food labeling; nutrition labeling of standard menu items in restaurants and similar retail food establishments – proposed rule. Federal Register 76, 19191–19236.
6. L Girz , J Polivy , C Herman et al. (2011) The effects of calorie information on food selection and intake. Int J Obes (Lond) (Epublication ahead of print version).
7. EA Finkelstein , KL Strombotne , NL Chan et al. (2011) Mandatory menu labeling in one fast-food chain in King County, Washington. Am J Prev Med 40, 122–127.
8. C Roberto , P Larsen , H Agnew et al. (2010) Evaluating the impact of menu labeling on food choices and intake. Am J Public Health 100, 312–318.
9. L Harnack & S French (2008) Effect of point-of-purchase calorie labeling on restaurant and cafeteria food choices: a review of the literature. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 51.
10. L Harnack , S French , J Oakes et al. (2008) Effects of calorie labeling and value size pricing on fast food meal choices: results from an experimental trial. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 63.
11. B Elbel , R Kersh , V Brescoll et al. (2009) Calorie labeling and food choices: a first look at the effects on low-income people in New York City. Health Aff (Millwood) 28, w1110–w1121.
12. M Wootan & M Osborn (2006) Availability of nutrition information from chain restaurants in the United States. Am J Prev Med 30, 266–268.
13. L Harnack (2006) Availability of nutrition information on menus at major chain table-service restaurants. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1012–1015.
15. SJ Nielsen & BM Popkin (2003) Patterns and trends in food portion sizes, 1977–1998. JAMA 289, 450–453.
20.US Department of Agriculture & US Department of Health and Human Services (2010) Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 7th ed. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.
21.US Department of Agriculture & US Department of Health and Human Services (2010) Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 7th ed., p. 14. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.
22. BM Popkin & KJ Duffey (2010) Does hunger and satiety drive eating anymore? Increasing eating occasions and decreasing time between eating occasions in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 1342–1347.
23.The NPD Group/CREST (2010) Two years ending December 2009. As cited in Fast Food FACTS: Evaluating Fast Food Nutrition and Marketing to Youth [JL Harris, MB Schwartz and KD Brownell et al.]. New Haven, CT: Yale-Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity; available at http://fastfoodmarketing.org/media/FastFoodFACTS_Report.pdf
24.Institute of Medicine Committee on Nutrition Standards for National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs (2010) School Meals: Building Blocks for Healthy Children [VA Stallings, CW Suitor and CL Taylor, editors]. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
30. JF Guthrie , BH Lin & E Frazao (2002) Role of food prepared away from home in the American diet, 1977–78 versus 1994–96: changes and consequences. J Nutr Educ Behav 34, 140–150.
32. K Glanz , K Resnicow , J Seymour et al. (2007) How major restaurant chains plan their menus: the role of profit, demand, and health. Am J Prev Med 32, 383–388.
33. B Saelens , K Glanz , J Sallis et al. (2007) Nutrition environment measures study in restaurants (NEMS-r): development and evaluation. Am J Prev Med 32, 273–281.
34. T Dumanovsky , C Nonas , C Huang et al. (2009) What people buy from fast-food restaurants: caloric content and menu item selection, New York City 2007. Obesity (Silver Spring) 17, 1369–1374.
35. KJ Duffey & BM Popkin (2011) Energy density, portion size, and eating occasions: contributions to increased energy intake in the United States, 1977–2006. PLoS Med 8, e1001050.
36. BJ Rolls , LS Roe & JS Meengs (2007) The effect of large portion sizes on energy intake is sustained for 11 days. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 1535–1543.
37. JA Ello-Martin , JH Ledikwe & BJ Rolls (2005) The influence of food portion size and energy density on energy intake: implications for weight management. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 1 Suppl., 236S–241S.
38. J Fisher , Y Liu , L Birch et al. (2007) Effects of portion size and energy density on young children's intake at a meal. Am J Clin Nutr 86, 174–179.
39. MT Kelly , J Wallace , PJ Robson et al. (2009) Increased portion size leads to a sustained increase in energy intake over 4 d in normal-weight and overweight men and women. Br J Nutr 102, 470–477.
40. K Palar & R Sturm (2009) Potential societal savings from reduced sodium consumption in the US adult population. Am J Health Promot 24, 49–57.
41. AK Kant & BI Graubard (2011) 20-Year trends in dietary and meal behaviors were similar in U.S. children and adolescents of different race/ethnicity. J Nutr 141, 1880–1888.
42. JL Pomeranz (2011) Front-of-package food and beverage labeling. Am J Prev Med 40, 382–385.