1. Lanfranco, A. R., Castellanos, A. E., Desai, J. P. and Meyers, W. C., “Robotic surgery: A current perspective,” Ann. Surg. 239 (1), 14–21 (2004).
2. Puangmali, P., Althoefer, K., Seneviratne, L. D., Murphy, D. and Dasgupta, P., “State-of-the-art in force and tactile sensing for minimally invasive surgery,” IEEE Sens. J. 8 (4), 371–381 (2008).
3. Hu, J. C., Gu, X., Lipsitz, S. R., Barry, M. J., D'Amico, A. V., Weinberg, A. C. and Keating, N. L., “Comparative effectiveness of minimally invasive vs open radical prostatectomy,” JAMA 302 (14), 1557–1564 (2009).
4. Trejos, A. L., Patel, R. V. and Naish, M. D., “Force sensing and its application in minimally invasive surgery and therapy: A survey,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. C – J. Mec. 224 (7), 1435–1454 (2010).
5. Bicchi, A., Canepa, G., Rossi, D. D., Iacconi, P. and Scilingo, E. P., “A Sensor-Based Minimally Invasive Surgery Tool for Detecting Tissue Elastic Properties,” Proceedings of the 1996 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA (Apr. 22–28, 1996) pp. 884–888.
6. Rosen, J., Hannaford, B., MacFarlane, M. P. and Sinanan, M. N., “Force controlled and teleoperated endoscopic grasper for minimally invasive surgery-experimental performance evaluation,” IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 46 (10), 1212–1221 (1999).
7. Tholey, G., Pillarisetti, A., Green, W. and Desai, J. P., “Design, Development, and Testing of an Automated Laparoscopic Grasper with 3-D Force Measurement Capability,” Medical Simulation (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2004), vol. 3078, pp. 38–48.
8. Tadano, K. and Kawashima, K., “Development of 4-DOFs Forceps with Force Sensing Using Pneumatic Servo System,” Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Orlando, Florida, USA (May 15–19, 2006) pp. 2250–2255.
9. Haraguchi, D., Kanno, T., Tadano, K. and Kawashima, K., “A pneumatically driven surgical manipulator with a flexible distal joint capable of force sensing,” IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics 20 (6), 2950–2961 (2015).
10. Zhao, B. and Nelson, C. A., “Sensorless force sensing for minimally invasive surgery,” J. Med. Devices 9 (4), 041012-1–041012-14 (2015).
11. Zhao, B. and Nelson, C. A., “Estimating tool-tissue forces using a 3-degree-of-freedom robotic surgical tool,” J. Mech. Robot. 8 (5), 051015-1–051015-10 (2016).
12. Li, Y. M., Miyasaka, M., Haghighipanah, M., Cheng, L. and Hannaford, B., “Dynamic Modeling of Cable Driven Elongated Surgical Instruments for Sensorless Grip Force Estimation,” Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Stockholm, Sweden (May 16–21, 2016) pp. 4128–4134.
13. Prasad, S. K., Kitakawa, M., Fischer, G. S. et al., “A Modular 2-DOF Force-Sensing Instrument for Laparoscopic Surgery,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg (2003), vol. 2878, pp. 279–286.
14. Trejos, A. L., Patel, R. V., Naish, M. D., Lyle, A. C. and Schlachta, C. M., “A sensorized instrument for skills assessment and training in minimally invasive surgery,” J. Med. Devices 3 (4), 041002-1–041002-12 (2009).
15. Tavakoli, M., Patel, R. V. and Moallem, M., “Haptic interaction in robot-assisted endoscopic surgery: A sensorized end-effector,” Int. J. Med. Robot. Comput. Assist. Surg. 1 (2), 53–63 (2005).
16. Dalvand, M. M., Shirinzadeh, B., Shamdani, A. H., Smith, J. and Zhong, Y., “An actuated force feedback-enabled laparoscopic instrument for robotic-assisted surgery,” Int. J. Med. Robot. Comput. Assist. Surg. 10 (1), 11–21 (2014).
17. Tholey, G. and Desai, J. P., “A compact and modular laparoscopic grasper with tridirectional force measurement capability,” J. Med. Devices 2 (3), 031001-1–031001-8 (2008).
18. Kuebler, B., Seibold, U. and Hirzinger, G., “Development of actuated and sensor integrated forceps for minimally invasive robotic surgery,” Int. J. Med. Robot. Comput. Assist. Surg. 1 (3), 96–107 (2005).
19. Seibold, U., Kuebler, B. and Hirzinger, G., “Prototypic Force Feedback Instrument for Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery,” Medical Robotics (InTech, Vienna, Austria, 2008) pp. 377–400.
20. Yu, H., Jiang, J., Xie, L., Liu, L., Shi, Y. and Cai, P., “Design and static calibration of a six-dimensional force/torque sensor for minimally invasive surgery,” Minim. Invasiv. Ther. 23 (3), 136–143 (2014).
21. Ma, R., Wu, D., Yan, Z. et al., “Research and Development of Micro-Instrument for Laparoscopic Minimally Invasive Surgical Robotic System,” Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, Tianjin, China (Dec. 14–18, 2010) pp. 1223–1228.
22. Lee, D. H., Kim, U., Moon, H., Koo, J. C., Yoon, W. J. and Choi, H. R., “Preliminary Design of Multi-Axial Contact Force Sensor for Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery Grasper,” Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Karlsruhe, Germany (May 6–10, 2013) pp. 1019–1024.
23. Kim, U., Lee, D. H., Moon, H., Koo, J. C. and Choi, H. R., “Design and Realization of Grasper-Integrated Force Sensor for Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery,” Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Chicago, IL, USA (Sep. 14–18, 2014) pp. 4321–4326.
24. Kim, U., Lee, D. H., Yoon, W. J., Hannaford, B. and Choi, H. R., “Force sensor integrated surgical forceps for minimally invasive robotic surgery,” IEEE Trans. Robot. 31 (5), 1214–1224 (2015).
25. Kim, U., Kim, Y. B., Seok, D. Y., So, J. and Choi, H. R., “A New Type of Surgical Forceps Integrated with Three-Axial Force Fensor for Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery,” Proceedings of the 2006 13th International Conference on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence, Xi'an, China (Aug. 19–22, 2016) pp. 135–137.
26. Sokhanvar, S., Packirisamy, M. and Dargahi, J., “A multifunctional PVDF-based tactile sensor for minimally invasive surgery,” Smart Mater. Struct. 16 (4), 989–998 (2007).
27. Stephan, M., Rognini, G., Sengul, A., Beira, R., Santos-Carreras, L. and Bleuler, H., “Modeling and Design of a Gripper for a Robotic Surgical System Integrating Force Sensing Capabilities in 4 DOF,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems 2010, Gyeonggi-do, Korea (Oct. 27–30, 2010) pp. 361–365.
28. Gafford, J. B., Kesner, S. B., Wood, R. J. and Walsh, C. J., “Force-Sensing Surgical Grasper Enabled by Pop-up Book MEMS,” Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Tokyo, Japan (Nov. 3–7, 2013) pp. 2552–2558.
29. Hong, M. B. and Jo, Y. H., “Design and evaluation of 2-DOF compliant forceps with force-sensing capability for minimally invasive robot surgery,” IEEE Trans. Robot. 28 (4), 932–941 (2012).
30. Kim, D. H., Lee, M. G., Kim, B. and Sun, Y., “A superelastic alloy microgripper with embedded electromagnetic actuators and piezoelectric force sensors: A numerical and experimental study,” Smart Mater. Struct. 14 (6), 1265–1272 (2005).
31. Chao, L. P. and Chen, K. T., “Shape optimal design and force sensitivity evaluation of six-axis force sensors,” Sens. Actuator A—Phys. 63 (2), 105–112 (1997).
32. Baki, P., Székely, G. and Kósa, G., “Design and characterization of a novel, robust, tri-axial force sensor,” Sens. Actuator A—Phys. 192, 101–110 (2013).