A forecast of future development for a period of 10 years postulates a complete change in civil air transport. Future city centre heliport developments are considered from an airport operator's point of view.
Full consideration has been given to helicopter sites in London by the Morris Report of 1961 and a VTOL Working Party of the Aeronautical Research Committee is now considering a report on the siting of Terminals for an Intraurban VTOL transport system.
Generally, the main considerations of committees on heliports consider the problems under the headings: —
1. Characteristics of the aircraft.
2. Noise limitations.
3. Safety, including aerodynamic effect of neighbouring buildings.
4. Air traffic control and operating procedures.
5. Traffic growth considerations.
6. Design layout and location of terminals.
7. Access to the city centre must be good and possibly not more than 15 minutes journey time.