The Society, instituted in 1876, has the general object of advancing the knowledge of the science of mineralogy and its application to other subjects including crystallography, geochemistry, petrology, environmental science and economic geology.
More specifically, the Society does the following:
- Publishes scientific journals, books and monographs
- Supports and holds scientific meetings
- Liaises with other Societies with similar objects such as the International Mineralogical Association, the European Mineralogical Union, The Mineralogical Society of America, The Mineralogical Society of Canada and the Geological Society of London
- Supports special interest groups
- Provides awards and bursaries to members and non-members
- Maintains an active website allowing access to information on mineralogy and online journals
- In conjunction with other societies publishes Elements a bimonthly international magazine of mineralogy, geochemistry and petrology sent to all members.
Latest articles from MinMag
Latest articles from Clay Minerals