Applied Soils and Micromorphology in Archaeology provides the most up-to-date information on soil science and its applications in archaeology. Based on more than three decades of investigations and experiments, the volume demonstrates how description protocols and complimentary methods (SEM/EDS, microprobe, micro-FTIR, bulk soil chemistry, micro- and macrofossils) are used in interpretations. It also focuses on key topics, such as palaeosols, cultivation, and occupation surfaces, and introduces a range of current issues, such as site inundation, climate change, settlement morphology, herding, trackways, industrial processes, funerary features, and site transformation. Structured around important case studies, Applied Soils and Micromorphology in Archaeology is thoroughly-illustrated, with color plates and figures, tables and other ancillary materials on its website (www.cambridge.org/9781107011380); chapter appendices can be accessed separately using the web (www.geoarchaeology.info/asma). This new book will serve as an essential volume for all archaeological inquiry about soil.Read more
- Expands on various themes and case studies to provide readers with an up-to-date, cutting-edge view of the field
- Contains numerous color photos and examples taken from sixty years of research, experimentation and reference material
- Thematic studies have been tested in peer-reviewed publications, in conferences, workshops, and special training sessions
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 2018
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781107648685
- length: 630 pages
- dimensions: 254 x 177 x 31 mm
- weight: 1.07kg
- contains: 139 b/w illus. 12 maps 49 tables
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
Part I. Background Approach and Methods:
1. Applied principles from geology and soil science
2. Complementary analyses
3. Systematic soil micromorphology description
Part II. Soils and Sediments:
4. Soils and burial (horizon types and effects of burial in the Temperate and Boreal regions)
6. Inundated freshwater and coastal marine sites
Part III. Archaeological Materials:
7. Archaeological materials and deposits
Part IV. Features and Activities in the Landscape:
8. First records of human activity
9. Clearance and cultivation
10. Occupation surfaces and use of space
11. Settlement morphology
12. Site transformation
13. Final remarks.
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to lecturers whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, lecturers should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other lecturers may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Lecturers are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×