Büchner is the forerunner of expression, followed by Wedekind and Strindberg. The style is then traced from Kaiser and Toller to O'Neill, Wilder and the later O'Casey. Important producers are Reinhardt and Meyerhold. Epic theatre is studied from Piscator and Brecht to Dürrenmatt and Weiss, Arden and Bond, and is seen as flourishing in offshoots of documentary theatre. This book was first published in 1981.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 1983
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521296304
- length: 244 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 138 x 11 mm
- weight: 0.29kg
- contains: 46 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
List of illustrations
1. Expressionism in the theatre
2. Forerunners of expressionism: Büchner
3. Forerunners of expressionism: Wedekind
4. Forerunners of expressionism: Strindberg and the dream play
5. Early expressionism in Germany
6. Expressionism in Germany
7. New production styles in Germany
8. Expressionism in Soviet Russia: Meyerhold
9. Expressionism in Soviet Russia: writers and directors
10. Expressionism in America: O'Neill
11. Expressionism in American: after O'Neill
12. Expressionism in Ireland
13. Epic theatre in Germany: Piscator and after
14. Epic theatre in Germany: early Brecht
15. Epic theatre in Germany: late Brecht
16. Epic theatre in Germany: after Brecht
17. Documentary theatre after Piscator
18. Epic theatre in Britain
19. Expressionist theatre
Table of events in the theatre
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×