This book reconstructs the efforts of avant-garde artists, primarily Natal'ia Goncharova and her Muscovite colleagues, to reclaim Russia's 'Eastern' cultural heritage. Before the First World War, art addressed a crisis in self-representation that was a consequence of Russia's dual cultural legacies, Asian and European. This text represents Goncharova's leading role in this project, both as a spokesperson and a painter. The animated and often polarizing debates concerning the cultural identity of contemporary art were often preceded by Goncharova's practices that react to a critical tradition that, for at least a decade, had accused the radical 'left' Muscovite artists of failing to create a national tradition.Read more
- First study of Goncharova's work in English
- Discussion of Orientalism, primitivism in early 20th century Russian Art
- Social history of avant-garde in Moscow before 1914
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2006
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521831628
- length: 360 pages
- dimensions: 286 x 222 x 25 mm
- weight: 1.453kg
- contains: 174 b/w illus. 14 colour illus.
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
2. A westernizing avant-garde
3. Art into life
4. Nationality on display: official versions, avant-garde interventions
5. Orientalism in reverse
6. Anti-artist: the year 1913–1914
7. Vsechestvo: Russia's other modernism.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×