Demos is a study of a classical city-state. It is the first attempt to provide an integrated account which gives due attention to the countryside as well as the urban areas of a polis. Concentrating on classical Athens, for which the literary and archaeological evidence is richest, Dr Osborne establishes the nature of settlement in the countryside and explores how this relates to the farming of the land, the exploitation of mineral resources, and the nature of political participation in both local and central politics. Further studies reveal the way in which the countryside was structured by religious institutions and cults and by the nature of the family.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: February 2005
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521619264
- length: 300 pages
- dimensions: 215 x 139 x 20 mm
- weight: 0.403kg
- contains: 12 b/w illus. 10 maps 9 tables
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
List of maps
List of plates
1. The polis and its politai
Part I. The Central Thesis:
2. The pattern of settlement of classical Attika
3. The pattern of land-holding in classical Attika
4. Demes and democracy: local politics and the politics of locality
5. Athenian stone resources and their exploitation
6. Patterns of exploitation in the Athenian silver mines
7. Kinsmen and neighbours, choosing and using
8. The religious factor: confirmation or alternative?
9. The replacement of Athens
Index of passages cited
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×