This book challenges several widespread views concerning Aristotle's methods and practices of scientific and philosophical research. Taking central topics in psychology, zoology, astronomy and politics, Professor Lloyd explores generally unrecognised tensions between Aristotle's deeply held a priori convictions and his remarkable empirical honesty in the face of complexities in the data or perceived difficult or exceptional cases. The picture that emerges of Aristotle's actual engagement in scientific research and of his own reflections on that research is substantially more complex than is usually allowed.Read more
- Author's reputation
- Centrality of Aristotle in the study of ancient philosophy and science
- Success of previous paperbacks by Geoffrey Lloyd
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 1999
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521556194
- length: 254 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 15 mm
- weight: 0.38kg
- contains: 1 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Introduction: reading Aristotle
1. The theories and practices of demonstration
2. The relationship of psychology to zoology
3. Fuzzy natures?
4. The master cook
5. Spontaneous generation and metamorphosis
6. The varieties of perception
7. The unity of analogy
8. Heavenly aberrations: Aristotle the amateur astronomer
9. The idea of nature in the Politics
10. The metaphors of metaphora.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×