Originally published in 1934, this book presents a highly readable account of the intellectual development of Spain following the 'Glorious Revolution' of 1868. The text is based around a series of intimate, personal sketches of the reformers and educators of the generation of 1868, but also deals extensively with broader cultural contexts as well. Politics is avoided where possible, and questions of the monarchical or republican reforms of government, of clerical or lay teaching in schools, are measured by their practical results on education in Spain, not by their theoretical implications in an ideal state. This book will be of value to anyone with an interest in Spanish cultural history and educational history.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 2013
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781107690820
- length: 234 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 14 mm
- weight: 0.3kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Esa Señora, that impossible lady
2. The first republic: honesty not the best policy
3. Sanz del Río, the much-abused philosopher
4. Don Francisco Giner: a society of friends
5. Don Francisco Giner: the wandering scholars
6. Don Francisco Giner: the lesson of the master
7. Don Francisco Giner: the borderland of law and ethics
8. Salmerón, the leader against his own leadership
9. Costa, the voice
10. Azcárate, the chairman
11. Cossío, the day's work
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×