In the century between 1806 and 1914 tsarist Russia was drawn into five wars due to its deep involvement, based on treaty rights and established traditions, in Balkan affairs. This book examines the reason for the Russian involvement in the Balkan peninsula and attempts to explain at least partially the connection that drew the Russian government into entanglements that were not only dangerous to its great power interests, but were also difficult to control. The wars, waged at a high human and economic cost, limited the resources that could be spent on internal development and in particular when they ended in defeat, led to domestic unrest and after 1856 and 1917 to drastic internal change.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 2004
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521522502
- length: 308 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 19 mm
- weight: 0.474kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
List of maps and illustrations
1. Rights and obligations acquired: the advance to the Black Sea, the Danubian Principalities, and the Serbian revolution
2. Rights and obligations defended and extended: the Greek revolution and the Russo-Turkish War, 1828–9
3. The defense of the status quo: the Crimean War
4. Balkan involvements continued: the Bulgarian question and the Russo-Turkish War, 1877–8
5. Final steps: the Belgrade link and the origins of World War I
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×