First published in 1922 as an expanded second edition of a 1914 original and as part of the Cambridge Public Health Series, this book examines the chemistry of water, sewage, food and other substances. Purvis and Hodgson assess methods of analysis for edible materials like pepper, vinegar and alcohol, as well as for disinfectants and coal gas. This book will be of value to anyone with an interest in public health and the history of public health education.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 2015
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781107494732
- length: 356 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 20 mm
- weight: 0.45kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Water - sewage - sewage effluents - river-water and sewage - sea-water and sewage - works effluents
2. Milk - cream - dried milk - condensed milk
3. Butter - margarine - lard, dripping, suet - cheese, cream cheese - edible oils
4. Tea - coffee - chicory - cocoa
5. Wheat flour, self-raising flour, baking powder - bread - rice - pearl barley - starches - infants' food
6. Pepper, cayenne, mustard - nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger
7. Cane sugar - golden syrup and treacle - honey - jam
8. Alcoholic beverages - whiskey, rum, gin, brandy - beer - cider
9. Vinegar - lime and lemon juice
10. Meat and meat products
11. Poisonous metals in foods
12. Preservatives - disinfectants
13. Air - coal gas - other gases
14. Rag flock - urine
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×