This imprint is established to publish in paperback for an individual readership the Press's most outstanding original monographs. These are titles which would normally appear in specialist hardback editions only, but whose quality and general academic importance justify their special promotion in this prestige imprint. The series will include both new and recent titles drawn from the whole range of the Press's very substantial publishing programmes in the Humanities and Social Sciences, and therefore represents some of the best current scholarship in the English language.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: September 1983
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521276955
- length: 284 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 138 x 17 mm
- weight: 0.35kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
List of plates
1. Introduction: the King's threshold
Part I. Shakespeare's England:
2. A superfluous sort of men: the rise and fall of the professional theatre
3. Astraea and Chrisoganus
4. Nation and empire
5. The hidden King: Shakespeare's history plays
6. Ben Jonson
7. The royal pretenders: Ford's Perkin Warbeck and Massinger's Believe As You List
Part II. Yeats's Ireland:
8. Our Irish theatre
9. A play-house in the waste: George Moore and the Irish theatre
10. Nothing is concluded Sean O'Casey, Denis Johnston and Brendan Behan
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×