This book was originally published in 1970. In 'Sociology in its Place', the essay which gives the volume its title, Mr Runiman argues that sociology cannot usefully be distinguished in content from either anthropology or history; that it is not only an historical but an applied science in the sense that its explanations are parasitic on the laws of others; and that to talk to looking for distinctive 'sociological' theories is therefore misconceived. The papers in the volume are grouped under three headings: the first four are methodological, the second three contain some results of empirical research and the last four are philosophical. The collection as a whole lends support to some of the important arguments of the opening essay.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2010
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521141284
- length: 248 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 14 mm
- weight: 0.32kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Sociology in its place
2. What is structuralism?
3. The sociological explanation of 'religious' beliefs
4. Class, status and power?
5. Embourgeoisement, self-rated Class and Party preference
6. Charismatic legitimacy and One-party Rule in Nkrumah's Ghana
7. Status consistency, relative deprivation and attitudes to immigrants W. G. Runciman and C. R. Bagley
8. Misdescribing institutions and misdescribing misdescriptions
9. 'Social' equality
10. 'False consciousness'
11. Games, justice and the general will W. G. Runciman and A. K. Sen
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×