Many of the elements ascribed to traditional Aboriginal beliefs and practices are the result of contact with external peoples - Melanesians and Indonesians, as well as Europeans. This controversial and provocative 1993 book is a detailed and continent-wide study of the impact of outsiders on Australian Aboriginal world-views. The author separates out a common core of religious beliefs which reflect the precontact spirituality of Australian Aborigines. This book investigates Aboriginal myth, ritual, cosmology and philosophy, and also examines social organisation, subsistence patterns and cultural change. It will be of great interest to readers in anthropology, religious studies, comparative philosophy and Aboriginal studies.Read more
- Controversial, provocative study - the first detailed and continent-wide study of the impact of Melanesians, Indonesians and Europeans on Aboriginal world-views
- Material of interdisciplinary interest - comparative religion, anthropology, comparative philosophy
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 1996
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521446914
- length: 316 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 17 mm
- weight: 0.43kg
- contains: 5 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Worlds to endure
2. Songs of a wayfarer
3. A new sky hero from a conquered land
4. Our mother from northern shores
5. From the mother to the millennium
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×