Published in 1920, this volume puts forward a view of humanity based upon racial categorisation and taxonomy. Racial groups are analysed in terms of culture, geographical location, physiology, and temperament in order to reach conclusions regarding their innate characteristics. The text has value as a historical source reflecting, as it does, the prejudices of the time in which it was written. It also provides an insight into the ethnographical approach and the colonial mindset. Hingston Quiggin and Haddon extensively revised this edition from the original 1899 text written by Keane, reflecting the high level of interest in ethnography during the period. It will provide a useful resource for anyone with an interest in the history of anthropology and the colonial period.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2011
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521234108
- length: 612 pages
- dimensions: 234 x 156 x 31 mm
- weight: 0.85kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. General considerations
2. The metal ages - historic times and peoples
3. The African Negro: Sudanese
4. The African Negro: Bantus - Negrilloes - Bushmen - Hottentots
5. The oceanic Negroes: Papuasians (Papuans and Melanesians) - Negritoes - Tasmanians
6. The southern Mongols
7. The oceanic Mongols
8. The northern Mongols
9. The northern Mongols (continued)
10. The American Aborigines
11. The American Aborigines (continues) 12. The pre-Dravidians: jungle tribes of the Deccan, Sakai, Austalains
13. The Caucasic peoples
14. Caucasic peoples (continued)
15. Caucasic peoples (continued)
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×