- Subject(s):English as a Second Language
- Author(s):Mark Cholij
- Available from: May 1999
Cover the 'mechanics' of English language.
Send a Query×
Provides an introduction to the basic principles of the English language for 9–11 year-olds. Also suitable as a revision book for older children.
English Basics covers the ‘mechanics’ of the English language: spelling, punctuation and grammar. Each book offers a systematic work and study programme for use in the classroom or at home.
Each unit consists of three sections. Initial tasks enable students to assess their grasp of a particular language point; a reference section contains accessible explanations and plenty of examples; and further exercises offer extension, revision and consolidation. A full glossary and answer key are also included.
- Unit 1. Starting and finishing a sentence
- Unit 2. Showing what someone else has said
- Unit 3. Capital letters
- Unit 4. Using the comma
- Unit 5. Being careful with the comma
- Unit 6. What is the plural of 'knife'?
- Unit 7. What is the plural of 'potato'?
- Unit 8. Combing words with an apostrophe
- Unit 9. Adding -'s to a noun
- Unit 10. Whose, its, theirs...
- Unit 11. Adding -'s to a verb
- Unit 12. Adding -ing to a verb
- Unit 13. Adding -ed to a verb
- Unit 14. Irregular verbs 1
- Unit 15 Irregular verbs 2
- Unit 16. Adjectives
- Unit 17. Adjectives ending in -ing/-ed
- Unit 18. Making adjectives negative
- Unit 19. Adding -er/-est to an adjective
- Unit 20. Adverbs ending in -ly
- Unit 21. Some tricky nouns
- Unit 22. Who/which/whose/whom
- Unit 23. Spoken and written English 1
- Unit 24. Spoken and written English 2
- Unit 25. Of/off, into, out of...
- Unit 26. Silent letters
- Unit 27. Words that sound alike
- Unit 28. Some confusing words
- Unit 29. Look, lock, lack, lake...
- Unit 30. Is it 'freind' or 'friend'?
Latest newsAll news
06 December 2019
The Latin of 'the man on the street': exploring unfiltered Latin through Roman graffiti
Experienced Latin teacher Bill Geiger talks about how your students can get an insight into...
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×