This is a documented narration of dramas played out from 1578 to 2000 in the Cape Horn area, Tierra del Fuego, by the native Yamana and Charles Darwin, explorers, sealers, whalers, Anglican missionaries, and three other famous people who made contact with some of the last Yamana. The narration, based on geographical, historical, and ethnographic sources and Anne Chapman's fieldwork with the last few descendants of the Yamana, describes the Europeans' motives for going to Tierra del Fuego and the Yamana's motives for staying there some 6,000 years, what the outsiders gained, and what the Yamana lost. The main objective of this work is to incorporate the hunting-gathering Yamana into world history by evoking their way of life, especially Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket in comparison with the outsiders they encountered, especially Drake, Cook, and Darwin in their scientific world in the context of their experiences with the Yamana in Tierra del Fuego and nearby areas.Read more
- This work challenges the concept of 'ethno-history' by incorporating the 'ethnos' (the native Yamana of the Cape Horn area) into world history, on par with Drake, Cook, Darwin, etc.
- The text is strictly documented (not fictional) and is written for the public with many of the notes for students and specialists, therefore it is a general work as well as a source book or textbook
- The Yamana have a written history as well as a prehistory, and I hope to have contributed to the former
Reviews & endorsements
Review of the hardback: 'The late Anne Chapman's well-written and researched volume chronicles the dramatic, at times deadly, encounters between indigenous people and European scientists, missionaries, and traders in the nineteenth century … many scholars will profit from reading its rich narrative.' William F. Sater, The American Historical Review
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: October 2013
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781107617025
- length: 746 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 42 mm
- weight: 1.08kg
- contains: 54 b/w illus. 2 maps
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. 1578–1775: DRAKE ENCOUNTERS THE FUEGIANS: THE FIRST MASSACRE OF EUROPEANS: CAPTAIN COOK INAUGURATES A NEW ERA
2. 1780–1825: MOBY DICKS IN TIERRA DEL FUEGO: THE WHALERS AND SEALERS ARRIVE
3. 1826–30: tHE FIRST VOYAGE OF HIS MAJESTY'S SHIPS TO TIERRA DEL FUEGO: FOUR FUEGIANS TAKEN TO ENGLAND
4. 1830–2: FUEGIANS IN ENGLAND: FITZ-ROY AND DARWIN MEET: THE BEAGLE RETURNS TO TIERRA DEL FUEGO WITH DARWIN
5. 1833–6: tHE THREE FUEGIANS WITH DARWIN AND FITZ-ROY IN TIERRA DEL FUEGO: ADIOS FUEGUINOS
6. 1838–43: USA AND GB ANTARCTIC EXPEDITIONS ARRIVE NEAR CAPE HORN AND MEET THE YAMANA
7. 1848–51: ALLEN F. GARDINER SEARCHES FOR HEATHENS AND FINDS THE YAMANA
8. 1852–8: tHE MISSIONARIES CARRY ON, JEMMY BUTTON IS LOCATED
9. 1858–60: YAMANA VISIT THE KEPPEL MISSION: MASSACRE IN TIERRA DEL FUEGO
10. 1860–9: tHE FIRST EPIDEMIC: THE MISSIONARIES SEEK A LOCATION: FOUR OTHER YAMANA VISIT ENGLAND
11. 1869–80: tHE MISSIONARIES SETTLE IN USHUAIA: THE YAMANA ATTEMPT TO ADJUST
12. 1881–2: fIRST SIGNS OF EPIDEMICS IN USHUAIA: ALAKALUFS KIDNAPPED TO EUROPE: NEWS OF FUEGIA BASKET
13. 1882–6: tHE FRENCH ARRIVE, THEN THE ARGENTINES: THE EPIDEMICS BECOME UNCONTROLLED
14. 1887–1900: oTHER FUEGIANS KIDNAPPED: THE NON-ENDING EPIDEMICS: 'IS GOD VERY FAR AWAY?'
15. THE XX CENTURY: THE YAMANAS: USHUAIA, THEIR ANCIENT CAMP SITE, BECOMES A CITY.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×