Heinrich Schliemann (1822–1890) was a successful businessman and self-taught archaeologist who is best known for discovering the site of the ancient city of Troy. In this 1874 work, written in the style of a diary, Schliemann describes his excavations at Hissarlik in Turkey, which revealed the remains of not just one but several substantial, superimposed ancient settlements, the earliest of which dates back to 4500 BCE. Schliemann himself was convinced that he had located Troy, and the spectacular golden treasure which he unearthed made his discovery famous around the world. Although his excavating techniques were crude, and later work on the site has led to the conclusion that the treasure dates from a much earlier settlement than Homeric Troy, Schliemann's achievement was extraordinary and his account makes compelling reading. This book was translated into English in 1875 as Troy and Its Remains, also reissued in this series.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: August 2010
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108017039
- length: 392 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 22 mm
- weight: 0.5kg
- contains: 2 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik (in der Ebene von Troja), 18 October 1871
2. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 26 October 1871
3. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 3 November 1871
4. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 18 November 1871
5. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 24 November 1871
6. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 5 April 1872
7. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 25 April 1872
8. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 11 Mai 1872
9. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 23 Mai 1872
10. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 18 Juni 1872
11. Auf dem Berge Hissarlik, 13 Juli 1872
12. Pergamos von Troja, 4 August 1872
13. Pergamos von Troja, 14 August 1872
14. Athen, 28 September 1872
15. Pergamos von Troja, 22 Februar 1873
16. Pergamos von Troja, 1 März 1873
17. Pergamos von Troja, 15 März 1873
18. Pergamos von Troja, 22 März 1873
19. Pergamos von Troja, 29 März 1873
20. Pergamos von Troja, 5 April 1873
21. Pergamos von Troja, 16 April 1873
22. Pergamos von Troja, 10 Mai 1873
23. Troja, 17 Juni 1873.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×