Tracing the political history of the Greek Orthodox Church as it emerged from the Ottoman period in a newly independent Greece, the author of this 1969 edition focuses on the period of revolution from 1821 to 1852. It was during this era that the Orthodox Church as it presently exists was formed. The author begins with a brief history of the Church from 1453 under the rule of the sultans and then traces its history under the various revolutionary governments during the War of Independence. He considers the breakdown of relations between the Church and the Patriarchate of Constantinople and describes the regency of King Otho and the establishment of the autocephalous Greek Church. He concludes with an account of the reunification of the Churches in 1852 and the reception of the Synodal Tomos by the government in Athens.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2009
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521115896
- length: 232 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 18 mm
- weight: 0.5kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. The Patriarchate and the Church under the Ottomans
2. Prelude to revolt
3. The year of revolution, 1821
4. The Church and the War of Independence, 1822–1827
5. The Greek Church under the Presidency of Ioannis Kapodistrias
6. The Regency of King Otho and the establishment of the Autocephalous Church of Greece
7. The Greek Church under the independent Synod, 1835–1850
8. The Synodal Tomos and its reception in Greece
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×