Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
Widely acknowledged as the most authoritative study of ancient Greece, George Grote's twelve-volume work, begun in 1846, established the shape of Greek history which still prevails in textbooks and popular accounts of the ancient world today. Grote employs direct and clear language to take the reader from the earliest times of legendary Greece to the death of Alexander and his generation, drawing upon epic poetry and legend, and examining the growth and decline of the Athenian democracy. The work provides explanations of Greek political constitutions and philosophy, and interwoven throughout are the important but outlying adventures of the Sicilian and Italian Greeks. Volume 5 deals with Greek history from the battle of Marathon through the Persian Wars and developments in Sicily down to the era of Perikles.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2010
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108009546
- length: 580 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 30 mm
- weight: 0.66kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Part II. Historical Greece (cont.):
38. From the battle of Marathon to the march of Xerxes against Greece
39. Proceedings in Greece from the battle of Marathon to the time of the battle of Thermopylae
40. Battles of Thermopylae and Artemisium
41. Battle of Salamis
42. Battles of Plataea and Mykale
43. Events in Sicily down to the expulsion of the Gelonian dynasty
44. From the battles of Plataea and Mykale down to the deaths of Themistokles and Aristeides
45. Proceedings of the confederacy under Athens as head
46. Constitutional and juducial changes at Athens under Perikles.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×