Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
The classical historian Theodor Mommsen (1817–1903) published his History of Rome between 1854 and 1856. His work was received with widespread acclaim by the scholarly community and the reading public. In 1902, in recognition of this monumental work, Mommsen was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature and acclaimed as 'the greatest living master of the art of historical writing'. Mommsen rejected traditional Enlightenment accounts, which glorified ancient Rome; instead, guided by a new and rigorous criticism of sources, he began the demythologisation of Roman history. In a vivacious and engaging style, using modern terms to express classical ideas, Mommsen drew bold parallels between the nineteenth century and classical Rome. Volume 2 covers the period from the unification of Italy to the subjugation of Carthage and the Greek States. This English translation, first published in 1862, is based on the German third edition (1861).
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2010
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108009744
- length: 496 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 28 mm
- weight: 0.63kg
- contains: 1 map
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Book Third. From the Union of Italy to the Subjugation of Carthage and of the Greek States:
2. The war between Rome and Carthage concerning Sicily
3. The extension of Italy to its natural boundaries
4. Hamilcar and Hannibal
5. The war under Hannibal to the battle of Cannae
6. The war under Hannibal from Cannae to Zama
7. The West from the peace of Hannibal to the close of the third period
8. The Eastern nations and the second Macedonian war
9. The war with Antiochus of Asia
10. The third Macedonian war
11. The government and the governed
12. The management of land and of capital
13. Faith and manners
14. Literature and art.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×