Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
William Everton Heitland (1847–1935) was a celebrated Classicist and fellow of St John's College, Cambridge, from 1871 until his death. In this first volume of his masterpiece trilogy, originally published in 1909, Heitland examines the origins of the Roman Republic from 509 BC until the conclusion of the Second Punic War. This highly influential and important book will be of value to anyone with an interest in Roman history.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 2014
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781107653474
- length: 368 pages
- dimensions: 234 x 156 x 21 mm
- weight: 0.57kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Part I. Introductory:
1. General remarks
2. Physical geography
5. The city of Rome
6. Social and political groups
7. The regal period
Part II. The Republic to the Union of the Orders:
8. Early difficulties of the Free State. The tribes
9. The Constitution 509–449 BC
10. The Decemvirate and Valerio-Horatian laws
11. Foreign policy 509–449 BC
12. The legends of the traditional narrative
13. The Constitution 448–367 BC
14. The Licinian laws
15. Foreign policy and the army
Part III. The Union of Italy under Rome:
16. The Constitution 366–265 BC
17. The conquest of Italy
18. Causes of Roman supremacy
19. Organization of Italy
20. Rome and the Roman people 366–265 BC
Part IV. Rome and Carthage:
22. First Punic war 264–241 BC
23. Rome, home affairs 241–218 BC
24. Foreign affairs 241–218 BC
25. Second Punic war
26. The situation created by the war.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×