The Rise of the Modern Police and the European State System from Metternich to the Second World War re-examines the diplomatic history of Europe from the 1820s to World War II as a succession of mounting police problems linking the countries of the Continent through their growing dependency on one another for domestic order, security, and social progress. It culminates in the clash between the movement toward international police collaboration and the alternative of Continental police hegemony by one power, as attempted by Nazi Germany between the late 1930s and 1945. This book is the first comprehensive history of Continental police systems, especially in the context of political and diplomatic history.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2002
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521522878
- length: 364 pages
- dimensions: 228 x 152 x 23 mm
- weight: 0.59kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Introduction: How do we define modern police?
1. Five national police styles in response to popular unrest in the nineteenth century
2. Modern police and the conduct of foreign policy: the French police and the recovery of France after 1871
3. International police collaboration from the 1870s to 1914
4. War and revolution, 1914–1922
5. The threat of totalitarianism: Nazi Germany's bid for European hegemony
List of archival
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×