Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
Numerical Solution of Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equations is a new type of graduate textbook, with both print and interactive electronic components (on CD). It is a comprehensive presentation of modern shock-capturing methods, including both finite volume and finite element methods, covering the theory of hyperbolic conservation laws and the theory of the numerical methods. The range of applications is broad enough to engage most engineering disciplines and many areas of applied mathematics. Classical techniques for judging the qualitative performance of the schemes are used to motivate the development of classical higher-order methods. The interactive CD gives access to the computer code used to create all of the text's figures, and lets readers run simulations, choosing their own input parameters; the CD displays the results of the experiments as movies. Consequently, students can gain an appreciation for both the dynamics of the problem application, and the growth of numerical errors.Read more
- Textbook gives a comprehensive presentation of modern shock-capturing methods, including both finite volume and finite element methods
- Innovative electronic component on accompanying CD allows the reader to perform computations based upon the text, and view the results as movies.
- Topic of interest to graduate students, academics and industry
Reviews & endorsements
'… very recommendable …' Internationale Mathematische NachrichtenSee more reviews
'Throughout the book it is clear that Trangenstein constantly thinks about students, which is great … could be used as a graduate textbook either independently or as a companion book to other textbooks on the subject. I find it particularly suitable for courses that have an applied flavor.' Doron Levy, University of Maryland
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: September 2009
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521877275
- length: 620 pages
- dimensions: 251 x 195 x 33 mm
- weight: 1.5kg
- contains: 109 b/w illus. 2 tables 141 exercises
- availability: Temporarily unavailable - available from August 2022
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to partial differential equations
2. Scalar hyperbolic conservations laws
3. Nonlinear scalar laws
4, Nonlinear hyperbolic systems
5. Methods for scalar laws
6. Methods for hyperbolic systems
7. Methods in multiple dimensions
8. Adaptive mesh refinement
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Advance Numerical Methods
- Advanced Multiscale Modeling and Computation
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×