Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
This book describes the research done on the problems of Bénard convection, as well as its modern offspring the Rayleigh–Bénard problem, and Taylor vortices. Bénard convection differs from Rayleigh–Bénard convection by the presence of surface tension, whilst Bénard convection is characterized by parallel rolls. Toroidal vortices characterize Taylor vortex flow. Convection and Taylor vortex flow deal with the consequences of the presence of infinitesimal disturbances in a fluid layer. Both problems are classical examples in the theory of hydrodynamic stability and share many features. Linear theory describing the onset of instability for both problems is practically completed; nonlinear problems have been at the forefront of research during the last 30 years. The impressive progress that has been made in the theoretical and experimental investigation of the nonlinear problems is described and the remaining basic problems are outlined.Read more
- Experimental approach to fluids
- Author is very well-known experimentalist
- Around 100 figures, many of which are the author's own photos
- Classic subject matter lit up by recent investigations
Reviews & endorsements
'… provides an invaluable source of information both for the graduate student starting research and as a timely decription of where we are now for those actively researching in the field.' Journal of Fluid Mechanics
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 1993
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521402040
- length: 350 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 24 mm
- weight: 0.68kg
- contains: 100 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Part I. Bénard Convection and Rayleigh–Bénard Convection:
1. Bénard's experiments
2. Linear theory of Rayleigh–Bénard convection
3. Theory of surface tension driven Bénard convection
4. Surface tension driven Bénard convection experiments
5. Linear Rayleigh–Bénard convection experiments
6. Supercritical Rayleigh–Bénard convection experiments
7. Nonlinear theory of Rayleigh–Bénard convection
8. Miscellaneous topics
Part II. Taylor Vortex Flow:
9. Circular Couette flow
10. Rayleigh's stability criterion
11. G. I. Taylor's work
12. Other early experiments
13. Supercritical Taylor vortex experiments
14. Experiments with two independently rotating cylinders
15. Nonlinear theory of Taylor vortices
16. Miscellaneous topics.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×