Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
With a scope that bridges the gap between the study of classical Islam and the modern Middle East, this book uncovers a profound theological dimension in contemporary Islamic radicalism and explores the continued relevance of medieval theology to modern debates. Based on an examination of the thought of the medieval scholar Taqī al-Dīn Ibn Taymiyya (d. 1328), the book demonstrates how long-standing fault lines within Sunni Islam have resurfaced in the past half-century to play a major role in such episodes as the Qutbist controversy within the Muslim Brotherhood, the split between radical salafīs and politically quietist ones, the renunciation of militancy by Egyptian and Libyan jihadist groups, and the radicalization of the insurgency in the North Caucasus. This work combines classical Islamic scholarship with a deep familiarity with contemporary radicalism and offers compelling new insights into the structure of modern radical Islam.Read more
- A rigorously researched intellectual history of contemporary Islamic radicalism and its relation to medieval schools of theology
- Explains the role of theology in al-Qaida and related organisations
- A signal contribution to the fields of Middle East history, political Islam, religious studies and theology
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2012
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781139227728
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. The early and classical Murji'a
2. Ibn Taymiyya's polemics on faith
3. The 'Murji'ite' Muslim brotherhood
4. Safar al-Hawālī's Zāhirat al-irjā
5. Salafī Jihādīs and the theology of faith
6. Theology and the changing shape of militancy.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×