Spacetime and Geometry
An Introduction to General Relativity
Spacetime and Geometry is an introductory textbook on general relativity, specifically aimed at students. Using a lucid style, Carroll first covers the foundations of the theory and mathematical formalism, providing an approachable introduction to what can often be an intimidating subject. Three major applications of general relativity are then discussed: black holes, perturbation theory and gravitational waves, and cosmology. Students will learn the origin of how spacetime curves (the Einstein equation) and how matter moves through it (the geodesic equation).…
- Add bookmark
- Explains mathematical formalism clearly with examples, helpful for students trying to access the physical content of general relativity
- Treats general relativity as a field theory, making it familiar to students of electromagnetism and connecting it directly to quantum field theory
- Contains detailed appendices including technical information and advanced topics for the interested reader
About the book
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108770385
- Subjects Cosmology and General Relativity,Mathematical Physics,Physics and Astronomy
- Format: Hardback
- Publication date: 12 September 2019
- ISBN: 9781108488396
- Dimensions (mm): 246 x 189 mm
- Weight: 1.28kg
- Contains: 108 b/w illus.
- Page extent: 516 pages
- Availability: In stock
- Format: Digital
- Publication date: 31 July 2019
- ISBN: 9781108770385
Check your access to the full version of this content by using one of the options below.
Log in with Open Athens, Shibboleth, or your institutional credentialsLog in
If you have previously obtained access using your personal accountLog in
Already purchased an access code?
You must be logged into your account in order to be able to activate an access code.Log in
If you believe you should have access to this content, please contact your institutional librarian or consult our FAQ page for further information about accessing our content.
Online publication date: 05 May 2015
Exact Space-Times in Einstein's General Relativity
Online publication date: 04 February 2010
Gravitational Collapse and Spacetime Singularities
Online publication date: 15 August 2009
Powered by UNSILO