- Cambridge University Press
- English Language Learning
- Digital Products
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Arts, theatre and culture
- Classical studies
- Computer science
- Earth and environmental science
- General science
- Languages and linguistics
- Life science
- Physics and astronomy
- Politics and international relations
- Statistics and probability
- Social science research methods
- Contact Us
- Heard Island and McDonald Islands
Many authors wish to post or archive copies of their work on their website or in institutional repositories; and in some cases they are encouraged or required to do so by their funders.
If your publishing agreement with Cambridge University Press contains a Green Open Access clause, unless it states otherwise you can post your manuscript in line with our Green OA policy. If your agreement does not contain a Green OA clause, contact us (email@example.com) if you want to check whether your work is covered by our policy.
Elements are eligible for submission to the UK Research Excellence Framework (REF), but are not covered by the REF Open Access policy.
Policy (Version 1.0)
Our Green OA policy allows you to post your original Elements manuscript online. The work is contracted under standard publishing terms and therefore any reproduction of the posted text is governed by the usual copyright restrictions.
While your manuscript is under review with us and before it is under contract, you may deposit it as you wish. However, there are restrictions on online posting of the final version that has been accepted at the start of production and of the published book (see below).
When posting a manuscript or published work, please ensure you:
- Include appropriate wording such as: ‘This material has been published in [Title] by [Author]. This version is free to view and download for personal use only. Not for re-distribution, re-sale or use in derivative works. © insert copyright holder.’
- Include a link to the Element in cambridge.org.
- Please also update your post of a submitted manuscript with the above wording and links once the Element is published.
You may only archive your original manuscript, as shown in the table below. We use the following definitions (adapted from NISO):
SMUR (Submitted Manuscript Under Review): Any version of the manuscript that is under formal review for publication.
AM (Accepted Manuscript): The version of the manuscript that has been accepted for publication. This version may include revisions resulting from peer review but may be subject to further editorial input by Cambridge University Press.
VoR (Version of Record): The version that is formally published.
Personal webpage, non-commercial repositories, and commercial sharing sites.
At any time