Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available for inspection. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an inspection copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This book is on existence and necessary conditions, such as Potryagin's maximum principle, for optimal control problems described by ordinary and partial differential equations. These necessary conditions are obtained from Kuhn–Tucker theorems for nonlinear programming problems in infinite dimensional spaces. The optimal control problems include control constraints, state constraints and target conditions. Evolution partial differential equations are studied using semigroup theory, abstract differential equations in linear spaces, integral equations and interpolation theory. Existence of optimal controls is established for arbitrary control sets by means of a general theory of relaxed controls. Applications include nonlinear systems described by partial differential equations of hyperbolic and parabolic type and results on convergence of suboptimal controls.Read more
- Unifies finite and infinite dimensional control problems
- Deals with the important problems of target conditions and state constraints
Reviews & endorsements
Review of the hardback: 'This outstanding monograph will be a great source both for experts and for graduate students interested in calculus of variations, non-linear programming, optimisation theory, optimal control and relaxation theory.' European Mathematical SocietySee more reviews
Review of the hardback: '… an impressive monograph on infinite dimensional optimal control theory. This is an original and extensive contribution which is not covered by other recent books in the control theory.' J. P. Raymond, Zentralblatt für Mathematik
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2010
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521154543
- length: 816 pages
- dimensions: 234 x 156 x 41 mm
- weight: 1.07kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Part I. Finite Dimensional Control Problems:
1. Calculus of variations and control theory
2. Optimal control problems without target conditions
3. Abstract minimization problems: the minimum principle for the time optimal problem
4. Abstract minimization problems: the minimum principle for general optimal control problems
Part II. Infinite Dimensional Control Problems:
5. Differential equations in Banach spaces and semigroup theory
6. Abstract minimization problems in Hilbert spaces: applications to hyperbolic control systems
7. Abstract minimization problems in Banach spaces: abstract parabolic linear and semilinear equations
8. Interpolation and domains of fractional powers
9. Linear control systems
10. Optimal control problems with state constraints
11. Optimal control problems with state constraints: The abstract parabolic case
Part III. Relaxed Controls:
12. Spaces of relaxed controls: topology and measure theory
13. Relaxed controls in finite dimensional systems: existence theory
14. Relaxed controls in infinite dimensional spaces: existence theory.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×