This fascinating text, first published in 1875, is a key early example of the conflict thesis. This theory expounds the premise of an intrinsic conflict between science and religion, and is archetypal of one aspect of this late-Victorian debate. Draper asserts that science has reached a point where its threat to traditional teachings can no longer be ignored, and he offers this history as a means to understanding both the interaction between religion and science and their perpetual opposition. He covers examples of this relationship, from Christianity's origins to the then contemporary crisis of church division and the Prussian–Austrian war, and also examines in turn what both Christianity and science have done for modern civilisation. Discussions of the central points of crossover and change in the history of science and Christianity lead to the conclusion that for religion to survive it must accept fact and reason.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2009
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108000697
- length: 400 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 23 mm
- weight: 0.5kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. The origin of science
2. The origin of Christianity – its transformation on attaining Imperial power – its relations to Science
3. Conflict respecting the doctrine of the unity of God – the first of southern Reformation
4. The restoration of science in the south
5. Conflict respecting the nature of the soul – doctrine of emanation and absorption
6. Conflict respecting the nature of the world
7. Controversy respecting the age of the Earth
8. Conflict respecting the criterion of truth
9. Controversy respecting the government of the universe
10. Latin Christianity in relation to modern civilisation
11. Science in relation to modern civilisation
12. The impending crisis.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×