This biography of the naval officer and explorer Sir Albert Hastings Markham (1841–1918) was published in 1927 by two relatives (both professional authors), using the detailed journals which he kept from 1862. Markham was the cousin of Sir Clements Markham, the historian and geographer, and was greatly influenced by him. Having volunteered for Arctic service, he was rejected by the Admiralty, but took a period of leave in which he went to Baffin Bay as second mate on a whaler. (His account of this voyage, and several other works, are also reissued in this series.) Though best remembered for his Arctic exploration, Markham was involved in active service in China, the Mediterranean and Australian waters, and in the training of naval recruits. He continued in the Royal Navy until 1906, and in his retirement continued to encourage polar exploration, serving for many years on the Council of the Royal Geographical Society.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 2014
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108071673
- length: 292 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 17 mm
- weight: 0.37kg
- contains: 19 b/w illus. 3 maps
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Early years (1841–56)
2. First foreign service (1856–8)
3. Pirates in the China Sea (1858–9)
4. Active service (1859–67)
5. Under the Southern Cross (1867–72)
6. The call of the North (1872–4)
7. Northward ho! (May–September 1875)
8. An Arctic winter (September–December 1875)
9. On the Polar Sea (January–November 1876)
10. On the prairies (November 1876–March 1878)
11. A cruise to the Kara Sea (April 1878–October 1879)
12. On the Pacific station (November 1879–October 1882)
13. The torpedo school - Hudson's Bay (November 1882–November 1886)
14. Commodore of the Training Squadron (November 1886–August 1891)
15. Flying his flag in the Mediterranean (1892–3)
16. The Victoria disaster (1893–4)
17. Marriage - the Nore command - last years (1894–1918)
Appendix A. Description of new species of birds found by Sir Albert Markham
Appendix B. Bibliography of Sir Albert Markham's writings
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to lecturers whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, lecturers should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other lecturers may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Lecturers are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact email@example.com.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×