Most writers have assumed that the spread of the Islamic faith has tended to weaken and undermine the foundations of traditional African society and culture. In this interesting and original study Professor Bravmann re-examines and refutes the assumption that the aniconic attitudes of Islam, especially the prohibition of representational imagery, have had a detrimental effect on the visual arts in the areas of West Africa influenced by this universalistic faith. The strength and flexibility of West African societies and their art forms is clearly revealed in the major part of this study, which is devoted to a detailed examination of the impact of Islam upon traditional art in the Cercle de Bondoukou and west central areas of Ghana. The text is illustrated with numerous photographs showing a variety of art forms and masquerades in the region.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: February 1980
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521297912
- length: 208 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 12 mm
- weight: 0.31kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
List of maps
List of plates
1. The Islamisation of West Africa
2. Muslim dogma concerning representational art
3. The syncretic nature of Islam: the survival of traditional art forms
4. History of the Muslim Mande in the Cercle de Bondoukoou and west central Ghana
5. Muslim relationships with traditional art in the Cercle de Bondoukou and west central Ghana
6. The Bedu masking tradition
7. The Gbain masking tradition
8. The Do masking tradition
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×