Other available formats:
Looking for an evaluation copy?
This title is not currently available for evaluation. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an evaluation copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
The past two decades have seen transformative advances in cosmology and string theory. Observations of the cosmic microwave background have revealed strong evidence for inflationary expansion in the very early universe, while new insights about compactifications of string theory have led to a deeper understanding of inflation in a framework that unifies quantum mechanics and general relativity. Written by two of the leading researchers in the field, this complete and accessible volume provides a modern treatment of inflationary cosmology and its connections to string theory and elementary particle theory. After an up-to-date experimental summary, the authors present the foundations of effective field theory, string theory, and string compactifications, setting the stage for a detailed examination of models of inflation in string theory. Three appendices contain background material in geometry and cosmological perturbation theory, making this a self-contained resource for graduate students and researchers in string theory, cosmology, and related fields.Read more
- Provides a complete and unified treatment, addressing everything the reader needs to know in order to understand this broad and complex subject
- The up-to-date experimental background allows readers to focus on current, rather than historic, topics and problems
- A richly detailed presentation allows readers to quickly develop a working knowledge of the subject, and follow calculations
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2015
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781107089693
- length: 394 pages
- dimensions: 251 x 178 x 33 mm
- weight: 0.86kg
- contains: 64 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Inflation: theory and observations
2. Inflation in effective field theory
3. Elements of string theory
4. What is string inflation?
5. Examples of string inflation
6. Conclusions and outlook
Appendix A. Mathematical preliminaries
Appendix B. The effective theory of inflation
Appendix C. Primordial perturbations from inflation.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in