Originally published in 1945, this book examines the development of nationalism in Europe, primarily through the connections between language development and the growth of national feeling associated with them. Chadwick also suggests ways in which the British could work to prevent another European war through greater understanding of other cultures and changing Britain's imperialist mindset. This book will be of value to anyone with an interest in European history, European linguistics or the rise of nationalism in pre-WWII Europe.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2014
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781107642874
- length: 220 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 13 mm
- weight: 0.29kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Nationality and language
2. The languages of Europe and the growth of national feeling connected with them
3. The formation of the linguistic map of Europe. (1) To AD 600
4. The formation of the linguistic map of Europe (2) Changes since AD 600
5. Nation and kingdom
6. The feeling for kinship between peoples. (pan-slavism, pan-Latinism and pan-Germanism)
7. The claims to domination. (1) Historical foundations
8. The claims to domination. (2) Prehistoric foundations
9. Yesterday and to-morrow
10. Our weakness and its remedy
Appendix. An institute of imperial and international studies
Linguistic map of Europe.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×