This two-volume work by Theodor Koch-Grünberg (1872–1924), director of the Ethnographical Museum in Berlin, tells the story of his major expedition to North-West Brazil and describes the indigenous tribes and the local geography. In contrast to Koch-Grünberg's many monographs and essays on the same subject, this book is directed at a lay readership. Koch-Grünberg states his aim of correcting a false impression of the indigenous peoples drawn from 'novels about Indians read during one's youth' and the accounts of his explorations are permeated by a deeply-held respect for the humanity he encounters. Although its primary interest to scholars lies in its anthropological and ethnographical content, the text is full of botanical, geographical and linguistic detail, interspersed with photographs taken by the author. Volume 2 (1910) describes the São Felippe region and includes an index and appendix with records of climate, flora and fauna.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: February 2010
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108007436
- length: 452 pages
- dimensions: 244 x 23 x 170 mm
- weight: 0.72kg
- contains: 228 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Abstecher nach São Marcellino
2. Von São Felippe bis Yauarete
3. Der Fischfang bei den Indianern Nordwestbrasiliens
4. Nao tem inferno por os cachoeiristas
5. Zum Quellgebiet des Caiary-Uaupes
6. Unter den Kobeua
7. Feldbau und Industrie am Icana und Caiary-Uaupes
8. Durch die Cachoeiris zurück nach São Felippe
9. Endgültiger Abschied von São Felippe und Fahrt auf dem Tiquie
10. In das Flussgebiet des Yapura
11. Zum Amazonenstrom und heimwarts
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×