John Playfair (1748–1819) was a Scottish mathematician and geologist best known for his defence of James Hutton's geological theories. He attended the University of St Andrews, completing his theological studies in 1770. In 1785 he was appointed joint Professor of Mathematics at the University of Edinburgh, and in 1805 he was elected Professor of Natural Philosophy. A Fellow of the Royal Society, he was acquainted with continental scientific developments, and was a prolific writer of scientific articles in the Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and the Edinburgh Review. This four-volume edition of his works was published in 1822 and is prefaced by a biography of Playfair. It includes his more important works on geology, astronomy and mathematics, together with some review articles and biographical notices. Playfair's wide interests also included gunnery, fortification, geography, navigation, hydrostatics, hydraulics, aerostatics, and pneumatics.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2011
- format: Multiple copy pack
- isbn: 9781108029421
- dimensions: 324 x 250 x 155 mm
- weight: 3kg
- contains: 8 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Volume 1: Advertisement
1. Biographical account of the late Professor Playfair
2. Illustrations of the Huttonian theory of the earth. Volume 2:
3. Dissertation exhibiting a general view of the progress of mathematical and physical science since the revival of letters in Europe. Volume 3:
4. On the arithmetic of impossible quantities
5. On the causes which affect the accuracy of barometrical measurements
6. Remarks on the astronomy of the Brahmins
7. On the origin and investigation of porisms
8. Observations on the trigonometrical tables of the Brahmins
9. Theorems relating to the figure of the earth
10. On the solids of greatest attraction
11. On the progress of heat in spherical bodies
12. Account of a lithological survey of Schehallien
13. On the naval tactics of the late John Clerk, Esq. of Eldin. Volume 4:
14. Biographical account of the late Matthew Stewart, D.D.
15. Biographical account of the late James Hutton, M.D.
16. Biographical account of the late John Robinson, LL.D.
17. Review of Mudge's Account of the Trigonometrical Survey of England
Review of Mechain et Delambre
18. Base du Systéme Mètrique Décimal
19. Review of Laplace, Traité de Mécanique Céleste
20. Review of Le Compte rendu par l'Institut de France
21. Review of Lambton's Measurement of an Arch of the Meridian
22. Review of Baron De Zach, Attraction des Montagnes
23. Review of Kater on the Pendulum.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×