The global age is distinguished by disobedience, from the protests in Tiananmen Square to the fall of the Berlin Wall, to the anti-G8 and anti-WTO demonstrations. In this book, Raffaele Laudani offers a systematic review of how disobedience has been conceptualised, supported, and criticised throughout history. Laudani documents the appearance of 'disobedience' in the political lexicon from ancient times to the present, and explains the word's manifestations, showing how its semantic wealth transcended its liberal interpretations in the 1960s and 1970s. Disobedience, Laudani finds, is not merely an alternative to revolution and rebellion, but a different way of conceiving radical politics, one based on withdrawal of consent and defection in relation to the established order.Read more
- Proposes a completely new theory of disobedience
- Presents the first complete history of the idea of disobedience in the Anglo-Saxon world
- Is a useful tool for the understanding of contemporary social movements
Reviews & endorsements
'Compelling, waffle-free and highly engaging.' Morning StarSee more reviews
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: November 2013
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781107606692
- length: 181 pages
- dimensions: 228 x 152 x 14 mm
- weight: 0.3kg
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
Foreword Adam Sitze
1. Before disobedience: antiquity and the Middle Ages
2. The modernity of disobedience
3. Disobedience in the age of revolutions
4. When disobedience is 'civil'
5. Disobedience in the crisis of sovereignty.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×