The new edition of this popular textbook provides a modern, accessible introduction to the whole process of aircraft design from requirements to conceptual design, manufacture and in-service issues. Highly illustrated descriptions of the full spectrum of aircraft types, their aerodynamics, structures and systems, allow students to appreciate good and poor design and understand how to improve their own designs. Cost data is considerably updated, many new images have been added and new sections are included on the emerging fields of Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles and environmentally-friendly airlines. Examples from real aircraft projects are presented throughout, demonstrating to students the applications of the theory. Three appendices and a bibliography provide a wealth of information, much not published elsewhere, including simple aerodynamic formulae, an introduction to airworthiness and environmental requirements, aircraft, engine and equipment data, and a case study of the conceptual design of a large airliner.Read more
- Cost data is considerably updated, many new images have been added, and new sections are included on the emerging fields of uninhabited aerial vehicles and environmentally friendly airlines
- Three appendices and a bibliography provide a wealth of information and data, much not published elsewhere, providing students and practitioners with the essential information they need to help them do their jobs
- Examples from real aircraft projects are presented throughout and an appendix includes a case study of the conceptual design of a large airliner, demonstrating to students the applications of the theory
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 2nd Edition
- Date Published: April 2017
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781107680791
- length: 302 pages
- dimensions: 253 x 178 x 14 mm
- weight: 0.65kg
- contains: 227 b/w illus.
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
2. Why should we design a new aircraft?
3. Why is it that shape? - civil aircraft
4. Why is it that shape - other types
5. What's under the skin? - structure and properties
6. What's under the skin? - airframe systems
7. What's under the skin? - avionics, flight control and weapons systems
8. Why do aircraft cost so much?
9. What help can I get? - bibliography and computer-aided design
10. The shape of things to come - should the project continue?
11. What can go wrong? - some lessons from past aircraft projects, and a glimpse into the future
Appendix A. Useful aircraft design data
Appendix B. A-90 parametric study. Example. The A-90 500-seat airliner
Appendix C. The prediction of aircraft reliability and maintainability targets
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in