Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available for inspection. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an inspection copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This is a second edition of the most successful study of Finland in the English language. It presents the reader - whether tourist, student, specialist, or business person - with a readable and authoritative introduction to the Finns and the present position of their country in the modern world. A Short History of Finland traces the historical development of the country from its settlement by the Finns in the first millennium AD to the present time, exploring Finland's earlier connection with Sweden, the complex relationship with Russia which has dominated Finnish history in the last two centuries, and the post-war achievements of the second republic. This second edition has been revised and updated by Emeritus Professor A. F. Upton, a leading scholar of Scandinavian history, and discusses the impact of the break-up of the Soviet Union and brings events up to Finland's admission to the European Union in 1995.Read more
- Revised and updated by a leading scholar of Scandinavian history
- Clear, concise introduction to all aspects of Finland (history, politics, geography, the arts)
- Now discusses events in Finland up to 1995 when Finland joined the European Union
Reviews & endorsements
'A very readable and informative account of Finland's past … an excellent starting point for general readers.' History and SocietySee more reviews
'A very readable and informative account of Finland's past… an excellent starting point for general readers.' Rough Guide to Finland
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 2nd Edition
- Date Published: October 1998
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521647014
- length: 224 pages
- dimensions: 217 x 139 x 15 mm
- weight: 0.28kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. History of Finland
2. Finland and Sweden
3. Finland, Sweden and Russia in the eighteenth century
4. The Finnish national awakening
5. The Finnish economy in the nineteenth century
6. The political development of Finland, 1863–1917
7. Independent Finland
8. Finland in the Second World War
9. Finland in the post-war world: the political situation
10. The economy of Finland in the twentieth century
11. The spirit of Finland
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×