Out of Print
Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
Although a 'longing for Zion' has always existed in Judaism, Zionism's call for the return of the Jews to Palestine is a distinctly modern phenomenon. This book investigates the way in which Zionism was received by bourgeois west European Jews from 1897 to 1914, with regard to the movement's approach towards those who were not seen as potential immigrants to Palestine. The author shows that Zionists were able to 'nationalise' parts of western Jewry by drawing on the liberal view of nationalism which had spawned Jewish emancipation, which enabled them to become part of the imagined nation without overriding their European loyalties. Further, it is shown how aspects of Jewish culture - notably zedakah, or giving to charity - were reformulated toward the goals of building a Jewish nation and a national culture.Read more
- Deals with an otherwise unexplored side to the Zionist movement: the engagement of the sympathies of the Jews of western Europe for political Zionist goals
- Amounts to far more than a study of Zionism, and will take its place as an important contribution to modern European cultural history
- Contains wholly new and convincing analyses of, e.g., the orchestration of the Zionist Congress and the role played by the Jewish National Fund
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 1993
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521420723
- length: 274 pages
- dimensions: 236 x 160 x 25 mm
- weight: 0.58kg
- contains: 39 b/w illus.
- availability: Unavailable - out of print October 2004
Table of Contents
1. Congress-zionism in motion
2. The emergence of Hebrew and dissent
3. Carrying out the cultural programme
4. Zionist heroes and new men
5. Art and zionist polular culture
6. Realistic projections of palestine
7. Culture and charity: the Jewish National Fund
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×