Other available formats:
Request inspection copy
Lecturers may request a copy of this title for inspection
This graduate textbook describes atomic-level kinetics (mechanisms and rates) of thermal energy storage, transport (conduction, convection, and radiation), and transformation (various energy conversions) by principal energy carriers. The approach combines the fundamentals of molecular orbitals-potentials, statistical thermodynamics, computational molecular dynamics, quantum energy states, transport theories, solid-state and fluid-state physics, and quantum optics. The textbook presents a unified theory, over fine-structure/molecular-dynamics/Boltzmann/macroscopic length and time scales, of heat transfer kinetics in terms of transition rates and relaxation times, and its modern applications, including nano- and microscale size effects. Numerous examples, illustrations, and homework problems with answers that enhance learning are included. This new edition includes applications in energy conversion (including chemical bond, nuclear, and solar), expanded examples of size effects, inclusion of junction quantum transport, and discussion of graphene and its phonon and electronic conductances. New appendix coverage of Phonon Contributions Seebeck Coefficient and Monte Carlo Methods are also included.Read more
- Includes expanded applications in energy conversion (including chemical bond, nuclear and solar) and expanded end-of-chapter problems
- Features new appendices on Phonon Contributions Seebeck Coefficient and Monte Carlo methods
- Contains expanded examples of size effects (with emphasis on nanostructures involving phonons, electron, fluid particles and photons)
- Includes discussion of junction quantum transport, and of graphene and its phonon and electronic conductances
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 2nd Edition
- Date Published: April 2014
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781107041783
- length: 788 pages
- dimensions: 257 x 175 x 33 mm
- weight: 1.39kg
- contains: 388 b/w illus. 72 tables 165 exercises
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Introduction and preliminaries
2. Molecular orbitals/potentials/dynamics and quantum energy states
3. Carrier energy transport and transformation theories
4. Phonon energy storage, transport, and transformation kinetics
5. Electron energy storage, transport, and transformation kinetics
6. Fluid particle energy storage, transport, and transformation kinetics
7. Photon energy storage, transport, and transformation kinetics
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to lecturers whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, lecturers should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other lecturers may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Lecturers are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×