- Subject(s):Critical Thinking
- Author(s):Alec Fisher
- Available from: October 2011
This second edition has been extensively revised with updated examples and a brand new chapter on how to obtain reliable information from the internet.
Send a Query×
Studying critical thinking involves trying to change the ways in which most of us think. In this second edition of the popular 'Critical Thinking: An Introduction', Alec Fisher concentrates on developing critical thinking skills explicitly and directly. His aim is to teach the ability to interpret, analyse and evaluate ideas and arguments and to show how these skills can be transferred to other studies and everyday life. A new chapter covers getting reliable information from the internet and examples and passages have been replaced by completely new material. The book is also suitable for the independent learner.
A wide variety of materials on topical issues to stimulate critical thinking and discussion.
Over 220 questions with answers to three-quarters of them providing students with feedback and opportunities for self-evaluation.
'Thinking maps' that enable students to monitor and improve their critical thinking skills.
A comprehensive glossary.
- 1. What is critical thinking and how to improve it
- 2. Identifying reasons and conclusions: the language of reasoning
- 3. Understanding reasoning: different patterns of reasoning
- 4. Understanding reasoning: assumptions, context and a thinking map
- 5. Clarifying and interpreting expressions and ideas
- 6. The acceptability of reasons: including their credibility
- 7. Judging the credibility of sources skilfully
- 8. Evaluating inferences: deductive validity and other grounds
- 9. evaluating inferences: assumptions and other relevant arguments
- 10. Reasoning about causal explanations
- 11. Decision-making: options, consequences, values and risks
- 12. Critical thinking about the internet (how to get reliable information from the internet)
- Questions appendix
- Answers to questions
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×