Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
Another Frank Capra offers a new interpretation of the great Hollywood director beyond the patriotic sentimentalist or the cynical opportunist that he has been taken for. Often cast as a cinematic simpleton or primitive, Capra's exploitation of the stylistic and narrative resources of cinema was, in fact, extremely self-conscious and adventurous in ways typical of artistic modernism. His modernism is also evident in his repeated and strong identification with female characters. Informed by recent work in genre theory and feminist psychology, Another Frank Capra shows Capra to be a 'proto-feminist' director whose feminism has been entirely neglected by previous critics.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: November 2005
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521389785
- length: 308 pages
- dimensions: 234 x 156 x 16 mm
- weight: 0.433kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Picturing Capra, Meet Frank Capra, Critical Concepts, You Can't Take It with You
2. Melodrama and the unknown woman: Forbidden
3. Questions of difference: Mr Deeds Goes to Town
4. Glimpsing the eternal: Lost Horizon
5. 'This Is a Man's World': Mr Smith Goes to Washington
6. 'To Be or Not to Be': It's a Wonderful Life
Postscript: The Catastrophe of Success
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×