- Subject(s):English as a Second Language
- Author(s):Mark Cholij
- Available from: June 1999
Cover the 'mechanics' of English language.
Send a Query×
For students aged 11+ who need to revise the general principles of English language and grammar.
English Basics covers the ‘mechanics’ of the English language: spelling, punctuation and grammar. Each book offers a systematic work and study programme for use in the classroom or at home.
Each unit consists of three sections. Initial tasks enable students to assess their grasp of a particular language point; a reference section contains accessible explanations and plenty of examples; and further exercises offer extension, revision and consolidation. A full glossary and answer key are also included.
- Unit 1. Capital letters
- Unit 2. Showing what someone has said
- Unit 3. The colon
- Unit 4. The dash
- Unit 5. The comma 1
- Unit 6. The comma 2
- Unit 7. More than one (making nouns plural)
- Unit 8. Singular or plural? (My family was/were...)
- Unit 9. The apostrophe 1
- Unit 10. The apostrophe 2
- Unit 11. Two words in one (e.g. 'beauty' + 'full' = beautiful)
- Unit 12. One word or two? (maybe/may be)
- Unit 13. The hyphen
- Unit 14. Some troublesome nouns (Is it 'arguement' or 'argument'?)
- Unit 15. Some more troublesome nouns (Is it 'humour' or 'humor'?)
- Unit 16. Extending words of one syllable (e.g. rub – rubber)
- Unit 17. Extending words of more than one syllable (travel – traveller)
- Unit 18. Irregular verbs (e.g. do – did – done)
- Unit 19. Some tricky verbs (lie/lay
- Unit 20. Some confusing words (practise/practice
- Unit 21. -ible and -able
- Unit 22. -ent and -ant
- Unit 23. Negative prefixes
- Unit 24. adverbs
- Unit 25. Making comparisons
- Unit 26. 'as' and 'like'
- Unit 27. Words that sound alike
- Unit 28. Silent letters
- Unit 29. Some problems of usage
- Unit 30. Common spelling errors.
Latest newsAll news
25 February 2020
Top tips on teaching Cambridge International AS & A Level science
How to follow on from Cambridge IGCSE™ science.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×