- Subject(s):Teaching Practice and Professional Development
- Author(s):Themistoklis Aravossitas, Peter Pericles Trifonas
- Available from: September 2014
A collaborative series with the University of Cambridge Faculty of Education, drawing practical insights from international research. The Cambridge Education Research series publishes in three strands. The Teacher Education strand provides a re-examination of aspects of national and international teacher education systems or analysis of contextual examples of innovative practice. The International Education Reform strand examines the global and country-specific moves to reform education and teacher development. Books in the Language Education strand address the multilingual context of education in different national and international settings.
Send a Query×
This collection presents new investigations into the roles of heritage languages and the correlation between culture and language from a pedagogic and cosmopolitical point of view.Rethinking Heritage Language Education is an edited collection that brings together emerging and established researchers interested in the education field of Heritage Language Education to negotiate its concepts and practices, and investigate the correlation between culture and language from a pedagogic and cosmopolitical point of view. The scholars, who have contributed to the growth of Heritage Language Education as a discipline, reconsider and enrich their findings by drawing new lines across the boundaries of research and practice. Rethinking Heritage Language Education complements the previous work of these theorists, filling a void in the current literature around the question of Heritage Language Education.- See more at: http://education.cambridge.org/uk/subject/teaching-practice-and-professional-development/the-cambridge-education-research-series/rethinking-heritage-language-education#sthash.e7KPwwAG.dpuf
In-depth analysis of Heritage Language Education from a conceptual point of view.
Detailed case studies of HLE in practice around the world including Canada, Australia, China, Spain and Switzerland.
Analysis of the role of schools in HLE and methods of HLE provision in schools.
Analysis of the role of communities and families in HLE.
Explanation of the importance of HLE for ethnic persistence in the 21st century.
- Notes on contributors
- Series editors' preface
- Introduction Peter Pericles
- 1. Mainstreaming plurilingualism - restructuring heritage language provision in schools Jim Cummings
- 2. Teaching heritage language learners - a study of programme profiles, practices and needs Maria Carreira
- 3. Rethinking heritage languages - ideologies, identities, practices and priorities in Canada and China Patricia A. Duff and Duanduan Li
- 4. The place of heritage languages in language education in Australia - a conceptual challenge Angela Scarino
- 5. Courses in the language and culture of origin and their impact on youth development in cultural transition - a study amongst immigrant and dual-heritage youth in Switzerland Elena Makarova
- 6. Language policies in the context of Australian civic pluralism Eugenia Arvanitis, Mary Kalantzis and Bill Cope
- 7. Communities taking the lead - mapping heritage language education assets Themistoklis Aravossitas
- 8. Overcoming challenges of language choice in heritage language development amongst multilingual immigrant families James C. Kigamwa
- 9. The impact of the CEFR on Canada's linguistic plurality - a space for heritage languages? Enrica Piccardo
- 10. Strengthening our teacher community - consolidating a 'signature pedagogy' for the teaching of Spanish as heritage language María Luisa Parra
- 11. Canada's 'other' language - the role of non-official languages in ethnic persistence Jack Jedwab
- 12. Rethinking heritage language in a critical pedagogy framework Panayota Gounari.
Latest newsAll news
18 January 2019
Teaching a Poem, with Elizabeth Whittome
English blog about teaching a poem
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×