Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
Now in paperback, this graduate-level textbook is an introduction to the representation theory of semi-simple Lie groups. As such, it will be suitable for research students in algebra and analysis, and for research mathematicians requiring a readable account of the topic. The author emphasizes the development of the central themes of the subject in the context of special examples, without losing sight of its general flow and structure. The author begins with an account of compact groups and discusses the Harish-Chandra modules of SL(2,R) and SL(2,C). Professor Varadarajan then introduces the Plancherel formula and Schwartz spaces, and shows how these lead to the Harish-Chandra theory of Eisenstein integrals. The final sections are devoted to considering the irreducible characters of semi-simple Lie groups, including explicit calculations of SL(2,R). The book concludes with appendices sketching some basic topics with a comprehensive guide to further reading.Read more
- Very well known author (been on TV programs about probability)
- Established classic book
- Subject in vogue
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 1999
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521663625
- length: 328 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 19 mm
- weight: 0.48kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
2. Compact groups: the work of Weyl
3. Unitary representations of locally compact groups
4. Parabolic induction, principal series representations, and their characters
5. Representations of the Lie algebra
6. The Plancherel formula: character form
7. Invariant eigendistributions
8. Harmonic analysis of the Schwartz space
Appendix 1. Functional analysis
Appendix 2. Topological groups
Appendix 3. Lie groups and Lie algebras
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×