- Qualification:Cambridge IGCSE
- Author(s):Ivy Liu So Ling, Martin Mak, Sandra Hon Yu
- Available from: March 2018
The only resources designed for the Cambridge IGCSE® Chinese as a First Language syllabus (0509).
Send a Query×
Take an active approach to first language Chinese with activities that reinforce language learning and expand vocabulary and idioms. The coursebook focuses on building students’ reading and writing skills through real Mandarin Chinese texts about different topics, such as Chinese philosophers and sport. It also provides opportunities to develop essential life skills including creative thinking, communication and problem solving. At the end of the course, students should be able to critically analyse literary work written in Chinese and demonstrate a strong writing ability. Suggested answers to the coursebook questions are in the teacher’s book.
To give students a taste of authenticity, this coursebook is based on real-life contexts with extracts from newspapers, magazines, online materials and other publications from Mandarin Chinese-speaking communities.
Eight topics – including Chinese philosophers, historical figures and social relationships – immerse students in Chinese culture and language.
Exam-style questions and clearly stated learning objectives promote self-assessment and independent study.
- How to use this book
- Topic 1. Social relationships: 1.1. Narrative
- 1.2. Argumentative
- 1.3. Directed writing and Classical Chinese
- Topic 2. Home town: 2.1. Narrative
- 2.2. Argumentative
- 2.3. Directed writing and Classical Chinese
- Topic 3. Historical and heroic figures: 3.1. Narrative
- 3.2. Argumentative
- 3.3. Directed writing and Classical Chinese
- Topic 4. Natural landscapes and travelling: 4.1. Narrative
- 4.2. Argumentative
- 4.3. Directed writing and Classical Chinese
- Topic 5. Virtues and attitudes to studying: 5.1. Narrative
- 5.2. Argumentative
- 5.3. Directed writing and Classical Chinese
- Topic 6. Chinese philosophers
- 6.1. Narrative
- 6.2. Argumentative
- 6.3. Directed writing and Classical Chinese
- Topic 7. Happiness: leisure, arts and sports: 7.1. Narrative
- 7.2. Argumentative
- 7.3. Directed writing and Classical Chinese
- Topic 8. Everyday life
- 8.1. Narrative
- 8.2. Argumentative
- 8.3. Directed writing and Classical Chinese. Introduction
- How to use this book
- 单元一. 谁言寸草心: 1.1. 描述与叙述
- 1.2. 议论与讨论
- 1.3. 指导写作及文言文
- 单元二. 此心安处是吾乡: 2.1. 描述与叙述
- 2.2. 议论与讨论
- 2.3. 指导写作及文言文
- 单元三. 千古风流人物: 3.1. 描述与叙述
- 3.2. 议论与讨论
- 3.3. 指导写作及文言文
- 单元四. 只缘身在此山中: 4.1. 描述与叙述
- 4.2. 议论与讨论
- 4.3. 指导写作及文言文
- 单元五. 格物致知: 5.1. 描述与叙述
- 5.2. 议论与讨论
- 5.3. 指导写作及文言文
- 单元六. 诸子百家
- 6.1. 描述与叙述
- 6.2. 议论与讨论
- 6.3. 指导写作及文言文
- 单元七. 快乐泉源: 7.1. 描述与叙述
- 7.2. 议论与讨论
- 7.3. 指导写作及文言文
- 单元八. 生活小百科
- 8.1. 描述与叙述
- 8.2. 议论与讨论
- 8.3. 指导写作及文言文.
Latest newsAll news
18 May 2020
TOK-bite video 2: teaching the new core theme 'Knowledge and the Knower'
We take a closer look at why the IB has introduced the new theme and...
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×