This textbook has been written to help teachers and students to pilot their way through the enormous and ever expanding literature on the French Revolution. The author makes a conscious effort to combine social and political interpretations of the origins of the Revolution and offers a synthesis which takes full account of current debates. He also seeks to restore the Revolution to its domestic environment. Notwithstanding the powerful contemporary myth of rupture, the author argues that the dramatic events of 1789 need to be considered alongside the reform achievements of Bourbon absolute monarchy. The result is a new account of the gestation of the Revolution which is both up-to-date and satisfying in its range of vision.Read more
- Completely up-to-date textbook in terms of published and unpublished research.
- A reconceptualisation of the usual 'periods' of the French Revolution which also takes the Bourbon achievement into full account
- Unites the 'social' and 'political' historiographies of the French Revolution
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: November 1995
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521459426
- length: 292 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 17 mm
- weight: 0.425kg
- contains: 10 maps
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
List of illustrations
4. Reform and the reform constituency
5. Towards 'a truly national representation', 1787–1789
6. The National Assembly, 1789–1791
7. The political culture of revolution
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×