Other available formats:
Request inspection copy
Lecturers may request a copy of this title for inspection
Suitable for both senior-level and first-year graduate courses, this fully revised edition provides a unique and systematic treatment of engineering dynamics that covers Newton–Euler and Lagrangian approaches. New to this edition are: two completely revised chapters on the constraints on, and potential energies for, rigid bodies, and the dynamics of systems of particles and rigid bodies; clearer discussion on coordinate singularities and their relation to mass matrices and configuration manifolds; additional discussion of contravariant basis vectors and dual Euler basis vectors, as well as related works in robotics; improved coverage of navigation equations; inclusion of a 350-page solutions manual for instructors, available online; a fully updated reference list. Numerous structured examples, discussion of various applications, and exercises covering a wide range of topics are included throughout, and source code for exercises, and simulations of systems are available online.Read more
- Includes two completely revised chapters on the constraints on, and potential energies for, rigid bodies, and the dynamics of systems of particles and rigid bodies
- Accompanied online by a 350-page solutions manual for instructors, as well as source code for exercises, and simulations of systems
- Includes numerous structured examples, discussion of various applications, and exercises covering a wide range of topics
Reviews & endorsements
'This book is unusual amongst dynamics books in that it treats rotation as an operator, a tensor, which acts on vectors. The more common approach in other books is to treat rotation, indirectly, as a matrix used for a change of coordinates. O'Reilly's rotation-is-a-tensor approach is common in continuum mechanics and is, I think, simply better. It allows direct derivation of the various component formulas without notational tricks.' Andy Ruina, Cornell University
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 2nd Edition
- Date Published: January 2020
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781108494212
- length: 540 pages
- dimensions: 253 x 179 x 29 mm
- weight: 1.21kg
- contains: 170 b/w illus.
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
Part I. A Single Particle:
1. Kinematics of a particle
2. Kinetics of a particle
3. Lagrange's equations of motion for a single particle
Part II. A System of Particles:
4. Equations of motion for a system of particles
5. Dynamics of systems of particles
Part III. A Single Rigid Body:
6. Representations of rotations
7. Kinematics of rigid bodies
8. Constraints on and potential energies for a rigid body
9. Kinetics of a rigid body
10. Lagrange's equations of motion for a single rigid body
Part IV. Systems of Particles and Rigid Bodies:
11. Dynamics of systems of particles and rigid bodies.
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to lecturers whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, lecturers should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other lecturers may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Lecturers are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact email@example.com.
Sorry, this resource is locked